Drugs and Alcohol Problems


Drugs and alcohol are used by a lot of people across the world for a good reason – in the short-term drugs and alcohol make us feel good or offer us some relief from unpleasant feelings. Unfortunately, those short-term benefits are soon outweighed by long-term problems.

Drugs and alcohol cost a lot of money, the side effects or ‘comedowns’ can be nasty, we may be breaking the law, it may upset friends and family and it can be difficult to do all the things we want in life if we are frequently drunk or high.

One of the most common reasons that people become ‘addicted’ to drugs or alcohol is because they think that drugs and alcohol help them cope with their problems. For example, people sometimes drink alcohol to make themselves less afraid when they are meeting people. Others find that if they drink enough alcohol, smoke enough cannabis or consume enough cocaine that they forget about all their problems.

There are clear downsides to these strategies. If we are drunk we may feel more confident when meeting people but we are probably not making the best decisions. We may regret our actions once we are sober. Whilst we may be able to forget our problems for a short amount of time whilst using drugs or alcohol it doesn’t make those problems go away and we are likely to feel much worse if we sober up.

If we think we are drinking too much or taking too many drugs it might help to think about what the underlying problems are. If we can identify these problems and work on them then we may find it easier to reduce our use of drugs and alcohol. The tougher but quicker approach might be to stop taking drugs and alcohol so that we have the opportunity to discover that we can cope in other ways.

Meet with one of our Psychologists about drugs and alcohol problems

It can sometimes be difficult to make these changes on your own.

If you would like advice and guidance that is specific to your situation you can meet with one of our psychologists.

For more information about our psychologists click here.

Any questions or comments about drugs & alcohol problems?

Did you find this article helpful? If you have any questions on drug or alcohol problems please write them in comments section at the bottom of this page and we’ll reply to you as soon as possible.

We would also be happy to receive any comments or opinions you may have on this article.

Further Information on drugs & alcohol problems …

Further Information on this Topic

Listed below are links to other websites and resources that we have found useful for helping with drug & alcohol problems.

If you know of any other websites or resources please let us know in the comments section below so that we can add them to the list.


Guide to Alcohol Abuse by the UK’s National Health Service (NHS)

This page on the UK’s National Health Service website gives advice and information about alcohol.

Guide to Drug addiction by the UK’s National Health Service (NHS)

This page is also from the UK’s National Health Service. It has several articles relating to drugs.

Drugwise (UK Charity)

It can be difficult to find objective information about drugs. This British charity’s site explains what effects the drugs may have (positive and negative). They also state which drugs are illegal and the potential consequences of being caught under the British system. In Malaysia the consequences are usually even harsher.

I am a British Chartered Clinical Psychologist currently working in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I aim to help people who are facing psychological or emotional difficulties to overcome their difficulties.


  1. I’m pursuing masters in clinical psychology in India. Can I get a license in UK and move to a doctoral degree in UK with my clinical psychology degree from India?

  2. Do people normally apply for DClinPsy immediately after their Psychology degree? Since one of the requirement to apply for DClinPsy is that you need to have some relevant working experience in the field of clinical psychology, will one year placement in related field be enough to apply or would you normally need a few years of relevant experience before you will be eligible for a place in DClinPsy? Thanks!

    • If you apply as an international student then it’s a lot easier to get onto the course than if you were applying as a local UK student (assuming you have the funds to cover the fees). Most local applicants will have worked for longer than a year. The courses do still want international applicants to have had at least a year’s experience but they tend to understand that it’s difficult to get the same level of experience overseas. Their primary aim is to allow you to find out whether you really want to work as a psychologist by spending time with the people you are likely to meet as a psychologist.

      There’s no particular rush to start clinical psychology training. Most courses see it as a positive if you’ve spent time doing other things first. Even if those jobs aren’t directly related to clinical psychology.

  3. Hello Dr. Seal, I have completed my Bachelor’s (Hons) in Psychology from a University in India, however it’s not BPS accredited. I am currently pursuing my Master’s in Clinical Psychology in which I’ll be getting around 9 months of internship experience in different clinical settings. I have done an academic research in my Bachelor’s (not published). I am planning to do either dissertation or psychological testing in my Master’s as well. My Master’s will be completed by May, 2022.

    I’m a little confused as to what type of course I should pursue next in order to be a practicing psychologist in UK. A little guidance from you will immensely help resolve my confusion.

    Thank you 🙂

    • Hi Sann, to work as a clinical psychologist in the UK you have to be registered by the HCPC (Health & Care Professions Council). The most common way of getting on the register is to have completed a UK Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (DClinPsych). To study a doctorate in Clinical Psychology in the UK you need an undergraduate psychology degree that is accredited by the BPS. Overseas clinical psychologists can apply to the HCPC to determine whether their qualifications would allow them to be registered as a clinical psychologist and work in the UK: Here’s the link: https://www.hcpc-uk.org/registration/getting-on-the-register/international-applications/ . To my knowledge they are more likely to accept clinical psychologists who trained in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, US, Canada but I think it’s less common for them to accept qualifications from India (if you ask them and they respond to let us know what they say here so that others can gain from the information!).

Any questions or comments? Please write them here ...