How Can Teachers Refer Students for a Learning Assessment





If a child in your class is having academic, emotional or behavioural difficulties at school an assessment can be helpful because:

  • It helps determine what the problem is and why it is happening.
  • It allows us to find the most effective way of helping the child.
  • The report from the assessment can sometimes be used to apply for practical support such as extra time in examinations.

Which conditions can we diagnose?

Where possible we avoid the use of labels and diagnosis but when there is a good reason for a diagnosis, (for example when it can give children access to exam accommodations and other resources) our experienced clinicians can diagnose children with conditions such as;

  • Dyslexia
  • Attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
  • Autism 
  • Speech and language difficulties
  • Selective mutism
  • General learning difficulties
  • Mood & anxiety problems
  • Eating & sleeping problems

We believe that it is more important to understand a child’s strengths and difficulties and find the best way to help them rather than focusing on giving them a ‘label’. So even when we provide a diagnosis our focus is alway on how we can best help a child and their family.

What happens in during a Learning Assessment?

For a full explanation of what happens during a learning assessment from the perspective of parents and students please read our page on this website.

Our intention is to work with schools, teachers and other professionals as collaboratively as possible. We believe it is much better if we can involve teachers through the whole process so that we can provide recommendations on how to help the student that will be effective and can be realistically implemented given that schools and teachers have many other students they need to work with.

We have a partnership with the International School of Kuala Lumpur (ISKL) where our psychologists are based at the school for certain days of the week. We have found this arrangement helps us to resolve issues much more quickly and to offer a better level of care for the students. If your school is interested in this option please contact us and we will arrange a meeting with you.

Our ability to liaise with the school and teachers does depend on parents giving us permission to do so. We always ask parents if we can liaise closely with the school and share information but we also explain that they have confidentiality so they can tell us not to share information with the school (we will break confidentiality if we think someone is at risk of being seriously hurt).

I think a child in my class needs an assessment… what should I do?

If you are concerned about a child in your class please feel free to contact us to discuss whether it would be useful to approach the parents and suggest an assessment. You can contact us at or call or WhatsApp to 012 5089910. Our administrators will connect you with a psychologist that can give you specific advice.

Please don’t tell us any identifying information about the child (such as their name or contact information) until the parents have consented to that information being shared. We are happy to discuss individual cases anonymously to suggest how you might be able to help the student and their family.

How much does a Learning Assessment Cost?

Assessments can be quite costly due to the length of time it takes to do the assessment, the cost of the assessment tools (the company that makes them requires that you pay for each assessment) and the time it takes to write a proper report.

Our current fee is intended for international schools but we are developing an abbreviated assessment method which we hope will offer a more cost effective option that is appropriate to the different language requirements in local schools. Please contact us for more information.

In the meantime the Universiti Kembangsaan Malaysia (UKM) in Kuala Lumpur, has a Health Psychology Clinic which does a briefer version of the learning assessment for a much more affordable rate. You can find out more information via their website.

Further information

If you would like any more information about this process please do get in contact with us.

Any questions or comments? Please write them here ...