It’s difficult to find work experience as an Assistant Psychologist at the best of times. Now that COVID-19 is with us it is even more challenging. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in volunteering to do some work for us online. Here are a few ideas:
Projects to help people gain support and networks online:
Find, evaluate and write an introduction to …
1. Online communities. Many people feel isolated and alone (especially during COVID). Are there welcoming communities online that they could join? This could include anything from friendly chat rooms to online role playing to computer games.
2. Groups in the ‘real world’. Are there places where people can meet others whilst doing shared activities such as sport, hiking, board games, acting, group learning etc?
3. Online support for people with mental health difficulties. There are online communities for people with low mood, anxiety or who have experienced sexual abuse or sexual assault. How welcoming are these? Who would we recommend them to?
4. Online support for people from other marginalised groups in Malaysia. I am particularly interested in finding resources for people from the LGBQT community as I have met a number of clients who struggle with this.
5. Online support for the friends and family members of people with mental health difficulties. Many people
6. Online resources or books about social interaction. I often have conversations with clients who have had a difficult past or who are on the autistic spectrum about how to manage social situations. I’d like to review some books or resources that talk about ‘small talk’ and other social skills.
Projects to help other aspiring psychologists:
7. Updating my website articles about overseas universities (this would be really helpful as my website is a bit out of date).
8. Helping design and later checking and summarising the data from a survey I plan to send to psychologists in Malaysia (I’m asking questions about their training, incomes and where they found work experience with the aim of helping people such as yourself).
9, Reviewing an Acceptance and Commitment Therapy course to see if it’s accessible and relevant to Malaysians.
Projects to find resources for NGOs
I supervise some psychologists at Dignity Malaysia (a school for refugees and the underprivileged). I may need help to research best practice on certain issues.
Translating and making articles culturally accessible
I would like to make my website more accessible to people who don’t speak English. If we can translate the advice we have into Malay, Chinese or Tamil I think that would be really helpful