According to their website the UCSI Masters in Clinical Psychology course can be studied full time in 1 year 8 months or part time in 3 years. They state that they have intakes in January, May and September but if this is the case it is difficult to see how they would be able to offer high quality teaching and enough placements for their trainees.
It is a good idea to ask new courses how they arrange placements for their trainees. Trainee Clinical Psychologists need to learn by working under the supervision of an experienced clinical psychologist. There are a limited number of clinical psychologists in Malaysia and only a small proportion of them are able to offer placements for trainee clinical psychologists. Some of the newer courses have found it difficult to find psychologists who can offer supervision to trainees.
It is also wise to ask new courses who will be doing the teaching to check that you will be taught by experienced clinical psychologists.
The course website also contained the following information on 8th November 2020. Do check this information against that on their website in case it has been updated.
- Child & Adolescent Clinical Psychopathology
- Ethical Practice and Research Approaches
- Testing and Measurement
- Psychotherapy Theories & Techniques 1
- Adult Clinical Psychopathology
- Psychotherapy Theories & Techniques 2
- Research Methodologies and Statistics
- Clinical Assessment
- Clinical Placement 1
- Clinical Research Project 1
- Clinical Placement 2
- Clinical Research Project 2
- Clinical Placement 3
RM48,950 for 2 years (5 semesters)
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline from any university or higher learning institution recognized by UCSI University.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology or its equivalent with minimum CGPA 2.75 out of 4.00; or
- A Bachelor’s degree with minimum CGPA of 2.75 in any field, AND a minimum 4 credits of prerequisites modules in Psychology or its equivalent with a minimum CGPA 2.75 out of 4.00 in the prerequisites modules; or
- A Bachelor’s Degree with minimum CGPA 2.75 out of 4.00 in any field, AND a minimum 30 credits of prerequisites modules in Psychology or its equivalent with a minimum CGPA 2.75 out of 4.00 in the prerequisites modules, AND a Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Subject Test (Psychology) with a minimum score of 550; or
- Other relevant or equivalent qualification, experience and requirement accepted by the HEP Senate/competent authority in Malaysia.
- Direct Entry to programme, or
- The Faculty may require the candidate to do matching courses at the undergraduate level and up to one semester before undertaking the Master of Clinical Psychology.
- The interview is compulsory which will be conducted by two qualified clinical psychologists.
This entry was written on 8th November 2020. Please refer to the course website for the most up-to-date information. If you are a representative of the course and would like anything changed please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org